streams

streams

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Lift with your Thighs

Every time I lift anything heavy, my husband admonishes me to lift with my thighs and not with my back. This proper lifting technique prevents back injury. This is a really unnatural posture for me. My natural inclination is to bend at my waist and lift the heavy object in whatever way I can. I have injured my back by lifting even small things this way.

We are frequently called to carry heavy burdens. Our natural posture is to draw from our own strength. This method leads to frustration, injury, exhaustion, and burn out. Even small concerns become straining.

God has placed His Spirit within us. We must engage this Spirit, this strength, to lift heavy loads. This might feel unnatural and awkward at first. Yet it enables us to handle hardships safely.

God has commissioned us to express His love by serving others. However, operating out of our own strength frequently puts us out of commision. Pay attention to your posture, your lifting technique. Lift with God’s strength within you, not with your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment