streams

streams

Friday, March 16, 2012

Transcendent Truths

My son recently commented that my writing makes me look overly religious. He asked, “Don’t you think of anything other than God?”

I do. I think about my family, my chores, my friends, the fiber content of foods, politics, finances, how to get rid of dark, under-eye circles…

I just don’t desire to write about that stuff unless those thoughts lead me to transcendent truths.

Our human experiences can give us glimpses into truths that are beyond our earthly parameters, beyond our superficial consciousness. It’s like hiking through narrow trails and coming across a shimmering lake. We peek through trees at the end of each trail and discover God’s indwelling glory, His intrinsic presence, within us and surrounding us.

Thomas Aquinas, a 13th century theologian said, “All that is true, by whomsoever it has been said has its origin in the Spirit.”

All truth is revealed by the Holy Spirit. Occasionally we are called to be scribes or translators, trip advisors who write reviews on our experiences.

“Better to illuminate than merely to shine, to deliver to others contemplated truths than merely to contemplate.” (also by Aquinas)

Contemplation is akin to discovering a secret beach at the end of an unmarked, brush-filled trail. Revealing these insights, these encounters, allows others to share in your joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment