streams

streams

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Shield-Bearer

Recently, a friend posed a question on her blog about descriptive names. "What is the name that truly expresses who and where you are right now?" (from Bo of the Bales, February 22, 2012)

The phrase that popped into my mind was "Shield-bearer".

The Old Testament describes a variety of peripheral assistants to warriors. They had armor bearers, banner carriers, trumpet players, etc. that were part of the army.

I would like to be God's shield-bearer. An assistant who carries the shield and keeps it clean and shiny till He needs it. I want to join God in battle, but I'd rather leave the fighting part to Him!

I've read that shields were super heavy. Thus strength, loyalty, and alertness would have been necessary characteristics for shield-bearers. I wonder if I would be able to bear such a burden with dedication.

Maybe I should aim for banner or flag-carrier instead? I bet those guys were easy targets for the enemy! Hmm... that doesn't sound too safe. Perhaps I could be a trumpet-player. I'm pretty good at blowing my own horn ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment