streams

streams

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Solitude vs. Loneliness


I've been thinking about the difference between solitude and loneliness lately. Loneliness is a negative emotion. It is involuntary isolation from others. You can be in the midst of a crowd and still feel lonely, friendless. These feelings of alienation lead to sadness and melancholy.

Solitude, on the other hand, can be positive. I associate the word with a voluntary retreat from distractions. A time of quiet, a time to think and sort out. Solitude can be refreshing and rejuvenating.

Both loneliness and solitude are familiar to me. I can sense God in solitude, but not in loneliness. God is there during both times...but my feelings of alienation and  self-pity prevent me from perceiving Him in times of loneliness. Solitude clears the clutter, turns off the static, erases the distractions, and makes space to notice God.

1 comment:

  1. A good distinction. I wonder if loneliness should lead us to solitude, which means filling our loneliness with God-presence? Yet sometimes easier said than done.

    ReplyDelete