streams

streams

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Passion

When we think of the word passion, we think of 'intense love' or 'heightened interest'. For example, "The couple was engaged in a passionate embrace," or "He is passionate about music." The original meaning of this word is quite different. Passion comes from the Latin passio which means suffering. Compassion means to 'suffer with'.

Is suffering synonymous with love?

The title of the movie, The Passion of Christ makes sense now. Christ was passionate about humanity. He suffered for this intense love.

When you are passionate about a person, an interest, or a cause, suffering is part of the package. If I love God passionately, then I should be willing to accept suffering. If I am passionate about my marriage, my family, my work, my writing, then I should expect to suffer for it. 

When we pray for God's compassion, we are asking that He will suffer alongside us. When we feel compassion for someone else, we must be willing to suffer with them. This is not the same as alleviating suffering. Compassion is not about fixing the situation.

What are your passions? What are you willing to suffer for?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder of the true meaning of the word "passion." I want to tell my students this. I am passionate about my family, those under my care or concern, like students or friends. I sometimes am passionate about my music, but I probably wouldn't be persecuted for it. Good thoughts, Susanna!;

    ReplyDelete