streams

streams

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Comfort and Security

J.R. Briggs is a pastor from Pennsylvania. I read the following quote on one of his blog posts: “Refuse to default to comfort and security.” (http://www.jrbriggs.com/ )

 When in doubt, I always default to comfort and security. Sometimes I feel called to speak up against injustice, take risks that might lead to loss, get into situations that are beyond my sphere of influence. However, I usually talk myself out of these urges during the early planning stages.

How can I move from my default settings and learn to take beneficial risks? How can I accept that discomfort and instability are part of growth?

When I was 15 years old, I learned to drive. I remember being nervous every time I got behind the wheel. I realized that I could get killed or kill someone else, every time I drove. I had to put aside my actuarial tendencies and bravely go where every other 15 year old had been before.

“Trust God from the bottom of your heart;
don't try to figure out everything on your own.
Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go;
he's the one who will keep you on track.
Don't assume that you know it all.” (Proverbs 3:5-12 MSG)

I must trust God; Listen to God; Lean more toward God than to my own common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment