streams

streams

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Outgrowing our Container

This morning I was watering one of my potted plants when I noticed that a few big roots were growing out of the bottom through the plastic pot. As I made a mental note to transplant this plant into a bigger pot, I thought of how many of us outgrow our containers in one way or another.

Sometimes I feel like my faith has outgrown my church. I’ve tried switching churches, but it hasn’t helped. Most churches provide the necessary nurturing environment for limited growth. Yet, because of their institutionalized nature, containment is inevitable. Regulations, legalism, and dogmatism can be restricting. Socializing, funding, building, and various projects suck up too much time and energy. Growth of the organization takes precedence over growth of individual faith. As a result, church sometimes feels like an ornamental pot.

I understand the need to shelter new seedlings indoors. Yet, a part of me wonders if, eventually, it might be beneficial to be transplanted straight into the fertile soil of God. We may have to withstand drought and frost, but our roots could go as deep as needed.

Then our faith could thrive…“like trees planted along a riverbank, with roots that reach deep into the water. Such trees are not bothered by the heat or worried by long months of drought. Their leaves stay green, and they never stop producing fruit.” (Jeremiah 17:7-9 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment