streams

streams

Monday, July 9, 2012

Prioritizing

“Don’t do everything – just do what matters most.” (J.R. Briggs)

Every day I wake up and make a list of all the things I want to do. I usually accomplish only 80% of these things. Which means the next day’s list is even bigger. By the end of the week, I’m overwhelmed and discouraged.

What if I were more selective? What if I only planned to do what mattered most? What if as soon as I made my list, I prioritized my tasks and deleted the 20% that was not essential. My to-do list would actually become doable!

If cleaning our house and cooking a healthy meal help our family feel cared for, then they need to be a priority. A cluttered, disorganized house agitates me, so I need some time daily to bring order to my home. Yet if these tasks are done merely due to societal expectations, then they just become a time drain. Unproductive, toxic relationships can dwindle our energy. Email enables me to communicate with people at times that are convenient for me and them. On the other hand, texting, online chatting, and Facebook are such superficial forms of connecting, that I find them wasteful.

What matters most? Tasks that enrich my mind, body, and soul are the first priority. Prayer, reading scripture, writing, exercising, and connecting with God and my loved ones have a deep impact on the quality of my life. I’m sure everyone has his/her own list of what matters most. If you haven’t taken the time to make up that list, do it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment