streams

streams

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Everyone is Wounded

I read the following on a friend’s blog ( http://bobales.blogspot.com/)

“When I look at my poor garments
My poor endowments
My stumblings up a hill as
I view others going the other direction,
Smiling on the downward slope,
Gliding well-toned in gossamer.”

(excerpt from -A David-Rework- by Fieldfleur)

In a few lines, she expresses lyrically what would take me paragraphs to say.

At some time or another, we all feel that our life is an uphill struggle in tattered clothes, while others seem to be coasting downhill looking like they just stepped out of a magazine.

Some of my friends have external wounds. Their hardships evoke compassion. Unfortunately, sometimes it also elicits pity. They don’t have the opportunity to heal in privacy.

Others have internal wounds. They appear fine on the outside. Their injuries might be in private areas that they are too embarrassed to share. Or their pain might be so deep that even they don’t know the origin of it. They suffer privately, deprived of compassion and comfort.

The longer I live, I realize that everyone has wounds, everyone suffers. Some people go through more at certain times, but no one is immune from pain. So, next time you see someone who seems well put-together, remind yourself that she probably suffers in private. And when you see someone with an obvious external wound, be compassionate and give her space to heal privately.

“Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world." (John 16:33 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment