streams

streams

Friday, July 6, 2012

Discontentment

We’ve all heard the story of Goldilocks and the three bears. Goldilocks invades the house of a family of bears and tries out their chairs, their food, and their beds. She declares most of what she finds unsatisfactory, but always finds baby bear’s stuff “just right”.

My Sis told me a wonderful analogy to this story. In a twisted version of this fairy tale, Goldilocks would not find anything to her liking. Nothing would be “just right”. She would restlessly keep searching, unable to satisfy her cravings. She would never be able to find contentment.

“Yet true godliness with contentment is itself great wealth. After all, we brought nothing with us when we came into the world, and we can’t take anything with us when we leave it. So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.” (1 Tim. 6:6-8 NLT)

Wealth does not bring contentment; contentment in itself is wealth. Remember that everything in our life is from God and not due to our own striving. Gratefulness is the first step toward contentment. We have to find satisfaction in what we have. Today, I am grateful for my God, my faith, my family, my health, my home, my friends, my mind…

God has graciously provided me with everything I need, but maybe not everything I want. It is up to me to curb my desires, if I want to find contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment