streams

streams

Friday, July 27, 2012

Weak Knees

One of my friends has a history of heart problems. When we walk, she pays attention to any discomfort that might indicate that she is putting strain on her heart. The other day, I was running by myself when I noticed this sudden sharp pain in my shoulder and back. I haven’t had any heart problems before, so I wasn’t worried by it. I just kept running, and the pain went away after a while.

On the other hand, I have had knee problems. I was jumping on a trampoline the other day and noticed my knees were hurting after a few seconds. I stopped jumping immediately. I am protective of my knees. Even the slightest tinge of pain or discomfort gets my attention.

We are all defensive of our weak areas, whether they be physical or emotional. If a part of us has been injured, we tend to shield it from further pain. If we have been a victim of a crime, or lost a loved one, or gone through a divorce, or infidelity, or financial strain, or addictions, or a natural disaster, we tend to be fearful and guarded when we face even the remotest possibility of it happening again.

When we live defensively, we put up walls. We cannot surrender or submit to God’s power. This is not how we are intended to live.
“I can't tell you how much I long for you to enter this wide-open, spacious life. We didn't fence you in. The smallness you feel comes from within you. Your lives aren't small, but you're living them in a small way. I'm speaking as plainly as I can and with great affection. Open up your lives. Live openly and expansively!” (2 Cor. 6:10-12 MSG)

1 comment:

  1. Really like this! Such a good reminder about how He wants us to live.

    ReplyDelete