streams

streams

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Drama-Mamas

There are people in this world who thrive on drama. They get bored if a day goes by without a heated argument or manufactured crisis. They assign themselves roles of tragic hero/heroine/director/script writer. They cast others as supporting actors, villains, and extras. They seek an appreciative audience. They have been playing the role of victim for so long, that they can’t distinguish between these fictitious characters and reality.

Unfortunately, I am not immune to these casting calls. I unwillingly get sucked into these deranged theatrical productions.

“Don’t ever have a battle of the mind with people who’ve lost theirs.” (Phillip Gulley)

I DO have a choice. I can choose NOT to engage in the battle. I can refuse to participate in the drama. I might be forced into the role of spectator, but I can tune out, count to 100... backwards. Of course, theatrical people are not going to be pleased when you choose to disengage from their histrionics. They need an audience. They do not like to be ignored. The will denigrate your abilities, call you a coward, accuse you of being selfish and uncaring. They WILL create a scene.

Maintaining relationships with these theatrical personalities without getting sucked into their drama requires divine grace and patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment