streams

streams

Monday, October 3, 2016

Baby Carrots

“Do you understand what you are reading?”  And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” (Acts 8:30-31 ESV)

When I was a kid, we didn’t have baby carrots. There was only one option for carrots--the large, dirty, misshapen carrots that came in a bunch. If you wanted to eat a handful of carrots, you had to peel them and cut them yourself. The only time we ate carrots was when my mom added them to some soup. By the time I had a kid of my own, the carrot industry had come up with a new way of marketing carrots: baby-cut carrots. I used to think these were actually young, baby carrots, but they are just regular carrots that have been peeled, cleaned, and cut into bite-sized pieces for the convenience of customers. Baby-cut carrots have changed how often and how much we eat carrots in my family.

My friend Gwen is part of our neighborhood Bible study group. She recently mentioned how daily devotionals help her to understand Scripture verses better. I was immediately struck by what she said.  The Bible can be hard to interpret for many people. Not everyone in every phase of life has the time, energy, or inclination to process the spiritual wisdom. Some guidance and explanation can be helpful. Everyday examples can make Scriptures much more accessible and applicable. Those of us who are able to study, contemplate, and explain can be of great service to those who cannot do so at this time.

Lord, thank you for granting me the time and inclination to study Your Word. Help me to break down the insights You reveal in ways that everyone can understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment