streams

streams

Friday, October 7, 2016

Reason for Living

"I have appointed you for the very purpose of displaying my power in you...” (Romans 9:17 NLT)

For the first twenty-seven years of my life, I was unaware that my body could run long distances. I have bowed legs, over-supinating feet, and a shuffling stride. My calves are the same size as that of an underfed chicken. Genetically, I come from a long line of unathletic,  nerdy  people who find it demeaning to exert themselves outdoors. The few times I tried to run during high school P.E. class, I felt winded and miserable. I decided I wasn’t meant to run. I spent my young adult years--when I was supposed to be at my physical prime--using my body gingerly, afraid it might break if I pushed it beyond what was familiar and comfortable.

I also had self-limiting beliefs about going the distance, spiritually. I was surrounded by messages of success and ambition. I was consumed by worldly concerns. Even though I admired those who were deeply devoted to God, I wasn’t sure that lifestyle was meant for me. Now, in my late forties, I know I am capable of much more than I imagined. I am not limited by the parochial beliefs of my ancestors. I have discovered there is more to life than accumulation, achievement, and self-indulgence.

When we succumb to fear, conventionality, or complacency, we limit the Spirit. Our days are frittered away on pursuits that are meaningless from an eternal perspective. We end up with a vague sense discontent.

We have access to  abundance and satisfaction with Christ. We are meant to be conduits of God’s love. He displays His power in our lives. His wisdom is revealed through us. This is our reason for living--to fully express the Spirit that has been placed within us.  

You cause me to know the path of life; in your presence is joyful abundance, at your right hand there are pleasures forever. (Psalm 16:11 ISV)

No comments:

Post a Comment