streams

streams

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Developing Grip Strength

“Oh, God, my Lord, step in; work a miracle for me - you can do it! Get me out of here - your love is so great!” ( Psalm 109:21 MSG)

One of my friends is going through a tough patch in her marriage.  She and her husband fight all the time. Every time I talk to her, she seems emotionally beaten down. If it were not for her young children, she would find a way to escape this situation.

We have all experienced times when circumstances seem so overwhelming that we plead with God to step in, work a miracle, or get us out of the pit of despair.  We wait expectantly for Him to throw down a rope. We grasp at anything that looks like a way out--only to find out that none of it can support our weight. The longer we wait, the more dejected we feel. We fail to notice that God has entered the pit with us. He knows that we have neither the strength nor coordination to climb up on our own. Thus, He waits until we get to know Him and learn to trust Him. He has a plan. Once we are ready to hang on to Him tightly and not let go for any reason--He will carry us out of the pit.
“If you’ll hold on to me for dear life,” says God,
   “I’ll get you out of any trouble.
I’ll give you the best of care
   if you’ll only get to know and trust me.
Call me and I’ll answer, be at your side in bad times;
(Psalm 91:14-16 MSG)

1 comment:

  1. With God's help and my trust in him to go forth beyond my fears I was able to leave a 12½ year physically and mentally abusive marriage when my children were 6 and 8. Now, 31 years later I still thank God for giving me the courage to trust him, as much as breaking marriage vows was considered such a no-no at that time.

    ReplyDelete