streams

streams

Friday, October 21, 2016

One Step Behind

"Come, follow me," Jesus said...” (Mark 1:17 NIV)
My husband and I have learned to run together. We have learned to match each other’s pace and cadence. It’s difficult to talk when you we are running, so we usually just listen to music on our headphones. We have developed a few techniques that allow us to stay together without exchanging words. When we run on trails, we usually run side-by-side. However, when we approach a fork in the road, I automatically run one step behind him so that I can see which direction he is going. This allows us to keep moving along without breaking our rhythm.
I have been ‘running’ with Jesus for decades now. Mercifully, He slows down His pace so that I can keep up. I used to try and get ahead of Him when it suited me. It took me a while before I realized this was a bad idea.  These days, I try to stay tuned in to His every move. Every time we approach a fork in the road, I take a step back. I watch to see which way He leads, and then, I follow close behind.
“Seek his will in all you do,
and he will show you which path to take.” (Proverbs 3:5 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment