streams

streams

Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Pray it Forward

“Moses' arms soon became so tired he could no longer hold them up. So Aaron and Hur found a stone for him to sit on. Then they stood on each side of Moses, holding up his hands. So his hands held steady until sunset.” (Exodus 17:12 NLT)
I often hear people saying that a certain book or movie inspired them. I always wonder if they mean that it merely caused them to think a bit more deeply or if it actually changed their behavior? I would like to mention two movies that transformed both my perspective and my behavior. Both these movies are somewhat sappy, but their core messages have stuck with me.
The first movie  is Pay it Forward. Most of us feel compelled to pay back people who have done us favors. This movie promoted the concept of paying forward to others rather than merely returning favors to our original benefactors. When I was a young immigrant child, I had many teachers, librarians, and mentors who went out of their way to help me. They changed my life with their gifts of time and wisdom. However, I couldn’t do anything to pay them back. Now I am fortunate enough to volunteer as a tutor. Every time students mention how they cannot pay me back, I always tell them: ‘Pay it forward.’
The second movie I want to mention is War Room. It is basically a movie about focused prayer. I have benefited from the committed, fervent prayers of others. Now I  pray it forward. I have the privilege of lifting others up to God. I do not take this role lightly. I try to remain focused and disciplined. But I must confess--sometimes I get tired and discouraged; other times I am distracted or agitated. When I’m weary and my spirit is downcast, I ask God to revive me. He sends reinforcements and refreshments: a friend will send an email or message, or I read a book or hear a song that fills me with fresh energy. My hands and my spirit are strengthened once again.
What a friend we have in Jesus
All our sins and griefs to bear
And what a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer
(lyrics by Joseph Scriven 1855)

No comments:

Post a Comment