streams

streams

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Setting the Stage

“The One who established the mountains by his strength is clothed with omnipotence.” (Psalm 65:6 ISV)

A friend of mine needed help.  I immediately did everything I could do to assist her in her time of need. Unfortunately, I had neither the knowledge nor the ability to make much of a difference. I felt frustrated and incompetent. I was disappointed in myself. I took my dejected, droopy heart to God. I asked Him to help her--since I couldn’t.  My friend called me later. She was joyful--things worked out better than expected. I’m leaving out the details of this story on purpose, because they are beside the point. What is significant is that I learned a valuable lesson:

My incompetence sets the stage for GOD’s omnipotence.

This reminds me of the home remodeling shows on TV. They pick homes that are in really bad shape and demolish them even further before transforming them into spectacular living spaces. They do this so that they can highlight the skills of the show’s hosts and crew. Similarly, when we approach God with our incompetence, when we humbly ask His help in unmanageable situations, we are preparing a space for Him to work. All illusions of self-reliance are demolished before the restoration begins. Everything is renovated according to God’s design, not ours. The timeline is determined by Him, not us. The spotlight is set on God’s ability, not on our inability. We have an omnipotent God who has infinite power and resources. We have an omniscient God who has unlimited knowledge and awareness. And we have an omnipresent God who is always present everywhere.

Lord, may my life be a stage for Your Glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment