streams

streams

Tuesday, October 4, 2016

God's Timing

“While they were there, the time came for her baby to be born.” (Luke 2:6 NLT)

I started planning for my firstborn months before I even got pregnant. I took prenatal vitamins, read up on pregnancy books, gave up caffeine and alcohol, and exercised regularly. After I got pregnant, I became even more systematic. I was careful about everything I ate, what I watched on TV, and what I listened to on the radio. I read aloud to our unborn child regularly. I got the baby room ready. I bought him clothes, diapers, and blankets. I consulted Consumer Reports before buying his car seat and stroller. I saved up my sick leave and vacation time so I could have the maximum amount of maternity leave. I did everything I could do to plan for our baby’s arrival.

I have heard that God’s timing is perfect; perfect for whom, I wonder. Take, for instance, the birth of Jesus. He is born in the time of political unrest, to an unwed, displaced teenager. This doesn’t seem like an ideal situation to me!

God’s timing doesn’t always coincide with our convenience. His plans don’t always align with our agenda either. God’s perspective doesn’t always make sense to us. He sees things that we don’t see.  Conditions that seem horrible to us can be ideal from His viewpoint.

I am learning to trust God’s timing, even though I don’t understand it. I pray for patience and endurance while I wait.

“God isn't late with his promise as some measure lateness...He's giving everyone space and time to change.” (2 Peter 3:9 MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment