streams

streams

Friday, July 30, 2021

A Shift in Values


“Because of all that God has done, we now have a new perspective. We used to show regard for people based on worldly standards and interests. No longer. We used to think of the Anointed the same way. No longer.” (2 Corinthians 5:16 VOICE)

The global pandemic has been an inflection point for my personal value system. I have had to reevaluate so many of my beliefs and standards. I used to show regard for people based on worldly standards and interests. My priorities were influenced by a culture of consumption, comfort, and convenience. I acknowledge my misjudgments and misdeeds. The deconstruction, reassessment, and rebuilding have been uncomfortable. Why did I wait so long to question and challenge my thoughts, habits, and behavior? 

I wonder if a shift in perspective would have been any easier if I were younger or less privileged? If the status quo is working for me, why would I want to question or change it? The truth is hard to swallow. I benefited from the current system, so I participated and perpetuated it. Discovering these major cracks in my foundational beliefs has been disorienting.  

Because of all the work that God has done within me, I now have a new perspective. Every day is an opportunity to practice looking at things from this different point of view. The process continues to be unfamiliar and uncomfortable. Yet, ensconced in Christ’s strength, I press on.


No comments:

Post a Comment