streams

streams

Thursday, July 22, 2021

Purposeful Adventures


I’ve been shipwrecked three times, and immersed in the open sea for a night and a day. In hard traveling year in and year out, I’ve had to ford rivers, fend off robbers, struggle with friends, struggle with foes. I’ve been at risk in the city, at risk in the country, endangered by desert sun and sea storm, and betrayed by those I thought were my brothers.” (2 Corinthians 11:26 MSG)


Action and adventure movies portray heroes who travel to exotic locations, jump out of airplanes, or drive at high speeds in expensive cars to save humanity from evil. These common tropes seem to have infiltrated mainstream cultural ideas on what it means to be courageous. An adventure is defined as an exciting or unusual experience. These days, most of us think of activities such as skydiving, ziplining, rafting, bungee jumping, etc., as adventurous. The goal is to experience the adrenaline rush and have pictures to post on  social media. There is no bigger purpose to these daring activities other than to have fun. 


The Apostle Paul led an adventurous life full of risk and danger. His travels were never leisurely or relaxing, but packed with tribulations. Paul was not seeking out thrills for the sake of excitement or to portray himself as an interesting man. He collaborated with God and followed directions. Every risk he took was deliberate, not impulsive. His adventures were purposeful. Paul wanted to know Christ and make Him known. He had a clear mission, and He chose to accept it. He would not let anything or anyone stand in the way. 

I want to know Him inside and out. I want to experience the power of His resurrection and join in His suffering, shaped by His death, so that I may arrive safely at the resurrection from the dead. I’m not there yet, nor have I become perfect; but I am charging on to gain anything and everything the Anointed One, Jesus, has in store for me—and nothing will stand in my way because He has grabbed me and won’t let me go.” (Philippians 3:10-12 VOICE)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment