streams

streams

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

True Needs


“Why spend your hard-earned money on something that can’t nourish you or work so hard for something that can’t satisfy?” (Isaiah 55:2 TPT)

I can mindlessly eat a bag of chips and still feel dissatisfied. When that doesn’t hit the spot, I will try a different flavor profile--perhaps something sweet like cookies or ice cream. I continue trying one junky snack after another, even though I know from previous experience that none of them will satisfy. 

“You can never get enough of what you don’t need.” (Brene Brown) 

I have a tendency to internalize, idolize, and pursue things that cannot satiate my true needs. It’s a bad habit I hang on to, because change is too uncomfortable. I yearn for authentic contentment, but I’m stuck in old patterns. Sometimes I reach a tipping point--where the agony of maintaining the status quo becomes more painful than growing. I recognize that these broken pieces of driftwood cannot save me. Denial is no longer a viable option. Reluctantly, I start letting go of long-held fallacies that have kept me afloat in the sea of societal expectations. I push forward to that which is truly nourishing and substantial.  

Lord, help me!


No comments:

Post a Comment