streams

streams

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Learning to Trust

 

“Suddenly, as they were crossing the lake, a ferocious storm arose, with violent winds and waves that were crashing into the boat until it was nearly swamped. But Jesus was calmly sleeping in the stern, resting on a cushion. So they shook him awake, saying, “Teacher, don’t you even care that we are all about to die!” Fully awake, he rebuked the storm and shouted to the sea, “Hush! Be still!” All at once the wind stopped howling and the water became perfectly calm. Then he turned to his disciples and said to them, “Why are you so afraid? Haven’t you learned to trust yet?” (Mark 4:37-40 TPT)


When reading this passage, I have always focused on the imagery of Jesus rebuking the storm. How wonderful it is to know that I have a Lord who can smooth all the conflicts and fix all the turmoil that surrounds me. This time around, my perspective shifted. I feel convicted by His admonishment to the disciples: “Why are you so afraid? Haven’t you learned to trust yet?”


Are you talking to me, Jesus?


When the storms of life threaten to overwhelm me, I feel afraid. I have not learned to trust God. Instead of feeling secure in the knowledge that the Lord is with me in adversity, I panic. To be honest, I just want Jesus to calm the external circumstances. I don’t want to face my internal issues--my lack of confidence in God.  And then I hear Jesus saying: Hush! Be Still. Calm down. I am with you in the midst of life’s storms. Learn to trust me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment