streams

streams

Tuesday, July 6, 2021

The Backward Pretzel


“The woman now realized her secret was going to come out sooner or later, so she stepped out of the crowd, shaking with fear, and she fell down in front of Jesus. Then she told her story in front of everyone—why she touched Him, what happened as a result.” (Luke 8:47 VOICE)


Whenever I am boarding a plane, I am careful that my luggage does not bother anyone. I have developed this technique that I call the ‘backward pretzel’--where I twist both arms back and hold the handle of my rolling carry-on. This enables me to pull my baggage directly behind me, preventing it from hitting other passengers as I walk by. Since the backward pretzel is an uncomfortable position, I do not expect anyone else to follow this technique. In fact, if someone else’s luggage brushes up against me, I am patient and understanding. 


I have a similar approach to the emotional baggage I am hauling around. I will contort myself into a backward pretzel so as not to bother anyone else with my burdens. I am eager to help others carry their loads, but I cannot muster up the same compassion for myself. I am trying to change this habit. Being open about my issues allows others to know that I don’t have it all together. Authentic vulnerability fosters sincere communion. Moreover, anytime I share my hardships, I get to tell God’s story--how I fell down in front of Jesus, how He touched me, and what happened as a result. 


No comments:

Post a Comment