streams

streams

Monday, July 19, 2021

Sustainable Homesteads

“This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him. (Psalm 91:2 NLT)


I like reading about sustainable homesteads. People who live this way seem to have incredible vision and ingenuity.  They grow their own food, have their own water sources, and get their electricity from solar panels and windmills. Since they are not dependent on public utilities and a consumer economy, they are less affected by power grid outages, water shortages, supply-chain blockages, and other geo-political issues. Personally, I have neither the skills nor the temperament for such a venture, but I admire those who do. I am impressed by their self-sufficiency and stability. 


I am even more inspired by those who have a sustainable trust in God. People who live this way seem to have their own private aquifer of faith. They know God intimately and trust Him unconditionally. When hardships come, they look to God alone for refuge, safety, power, and sustenance. They have a peace that is not disturbed by worldly circumstances, because their stability is based on their confidence in Christ.


In Christ alone my hope is found,

He is my light, my strength, my song;

This Cornerstone, this solid Ground,

Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.

What heights of love, what depths of peace,

When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!

My Comforter, my All in All,

Here in the love of Christ I stand. (Lyrics by Stuart Townend)


No comments:

Post a Comment