streams

streams

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Animal Builders


“Call on the animals to teach you; the birds that sail through the air are not afraid to tell you the truth. Engage the earth in conversation; it’s happy to share what it knows.” (Job 12:7-8 VOICE)


There was an abandoned bird nest near our roof--where the gutters meet the drain pipe. Recently, it fell down from its high perch, and I had a chance to inspect it. The nest was built with scraps of twigs, grass, and dirt and lined with our golden retriever’s fur. How ingenious of this bird to use all these things I had overlooked or thrown away! 


I saw a beaver’s dam near a local creek. These rodents build dams and lodges from all sorts of natural debris. They have figured out how to use whatever resources are available to protect themselves from predators. In addition, beaver dams create wetlands that support a variety of other organisms and prevent toxins from filtering into streams. 


These animals have reminded me that treasures are often hidden in plain sight. There is no shortage of material for those who are observant. What can I build? What have I overlooked?  What stones have I left unturned? What joys and delights have I missed that I can weave into praise? 


No comments:

Post a Comment