streams

streams

Friday, July 16, 2021

Deep Knowing


“But when the truth-giving Spirit comes, he will unveil the reality of every truth within you.” (John 16:13 TPT)


I heard the following quote on a podcast by Rob Bell: 

"Some people live from their edges. They live based on the behaviors, wants, resentments, and needs of others. Sometimes, a person gets so defined by others that their identity becomes edges...the outer edges where they intersect with others. They have no musculature for listening to their own deep knowing." (Rob Bell, “Everyone Is Looking for  You”) 


Was I living from my edges? 


I doodled as I pondered. I drew a figure of a woman outlined in different colors. It was a pretty drawing. The figure had a head, a torso, two arms, and two legs. It was hollow inside--lacking a face, guts, heart, or brain. 


I recognized the colored outlines of my identity. These were the roles I played: Good Christian Woman, Supportive Wife, Ideal Mom, Dutiful Daughter. These were the edges where my life intersected with the behaviors, wants, resentments, and needs of others. 


Those who are Spirit-led are connected with their true self. They do not ignore their guts, brains, hearts, and eyes.  Instead of living from the edges of cultural expectations, they listen to their instincts, thoughts, senses, and visions. When the Spirit unveils the reality of every truth, they pay attention.  They develop the musculature for listening to their own deep knowing.


No comments:

Post a Comment