streams

streams

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Cluttered Desks

A few more thoughts on sorting through priorities...

The desktop background on my laptop shows a picture of my family. I intentionally set this image as my wallpaper because it brings me joy and reminds me of what is important. I have several shortcut icons obscuring this picture. I click on some of these icons to get online, open documents, upload pictures, transfer music, etc. Some days, I don't pay much attention to what's in the background.

There are several icons in my life that eclipse my primary purpose. These start of as harmless short cuts that are supposed to make my life better. Yet eventually they add up and hide what's important.

I cleaned up my computer's desktop today. Got rid of all the unnecessary icons. Moved the few icons that were left to the side, so that my family picture is not covered up. Also cleaned up my real desk. Got some book ends to hold up the books. Put the rest of the stuff in the drawer.

Over time, all our lives accumulate idols or icons that obscure God's image and interfere with His purpose for us.  Every so often, we need to take time to clean up our virtual, physical and spiritual desktops.

1 comment:

  1. How true! I need to do this myself. The obscurity pursuit . . .

    ReplyDelete