streams

streams

Friday, January 20, 2012

Country Living

A decade ago, we moved into a rural neighborhood. We were raised in a city, and didn't know a daffodil from a dandelion. It was the farthest I'd lived from a Wal-mart. As far as I was concerned, I was living on the frontier. During the first few years, we planted trees and shrubs, even grew some vegetables from seed. We survived with only dial-up internet... (barely). I wore overalls, and used the word "choring" whenever I was doing laundry or other house work. I reveled in walking barefoot through the grass, and watching the stars, away from the city lights. Yes, I was living out my "Green Acres" fantasy.

Fast forward ten years. I'm no longer as clueless as I used to be. Today, I wear Carhartts, over my pajamas, as I run through the snowy field to my neighbors house to fix her broadband internet. (Our neighborhood got DSL 5 years ago. Still waiting for cable). I've learned to call my neighbors and ask if they need anything before I drive the 14 miles to Wal-mart. They do the same for me. I don't have a walk-in pantry in my house, instead I can walk-in to my friends' homes and pick through their pantries. The apple trees we planted have borne fruit and the evergreens shelter birds. The maples and oaks provide shade.

I moved out to the country to get close to nature. I stay, to be close to these friends.

2 comments:

  1. I love how God continues to 'scatter' His people...into the country! Those apple trees aren't the only ones that are bearing fruit...to be able to reflect and see how wonderful His plans are - great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sweet. I like the picture of you running with your Cardharts on and pjs underneath. :)

    ReplyDelete