streams

streams

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Gifts of Joy

Daily, I receive gifts that fill me with joy.  Answered prayer.  Friends share news of healing. My child laughs at his own quirky humor. My husband says something sweet. My dog lays her head on my lap. The sound of my garage door opening lets me know my husband is home safely, yet again.  The morning sky, dressed in salmon pink, makes me smile.

Some days these gifts are tangible. I got a beautiful new blue pot last week. It's such a bright happy blue that matches nothing in my kitchen. It's the perfect shape and size. Each time I cook a meal it feels sacramental. Hallelujah!

I've been eating mostly healthy food since the new year began. Yet, I indulged in a Big Mac a few days ago. I cut the burger into 4 pieces and savored each bite. Sheer pleasure.

My husband hooked up a TV and DVD player in my exercise area. Joy!
I managed to have patience with my son. Joy!
My knee doesn't hurt as much. Joy!

There are plenty of negative things that happen too. Things that make me want to cry, fill me with fear and dread. Yet, if I focus on those impediments, I miss these little gifts. So, instead I cherish these moments of joy. I express my gratitude to the One who gives... and takes away.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. Love this! It's quite important to notice these small and precious things, and thank God for them.

    ReplyDelete