streams

streams

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Recognizing God

I was watching the Dr. Oz show the other day. He recommends that people with sleep problems use earplugs, an eye patch and a noise machine that blocks out other sounds. I suffer from insomnia, and I have all these tools available in my house. Yet I'm hesitant to use these sleep aids because I don't want to be unaware to that degree, even when I'm sleeping. What if the smoke alarm goes off? Or an intruder breaks in to the house? Or my son knocks on my door?

This reminds me of the following verse from Isaiah:
"They will not see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts, and turn to me for healing." (Is. 6:10 NLT)

Some of us go through life in a somnambulant state, wearing ear plugs, eye patches and blocking out God's voice continuously. We are unconscious of evil, of suffering around us, of loneliness, of brokenness. We intentionally create noise and distraction so that we can remain incognizant of unpleasant circumstances. We also miss the glory, the beauty and the mystery all around us. We fail to recognize God.

Lord, open our eyes, soften our hearts, so we may perceive you and turn to you, so that you can heal us.

No comments:

Post a Comment