streams

streams

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mama Don't Play That!


I'm set in my ways. I don't like my plans to be interrupted. I'm inflexible and I secretly like it. For some absurd reason, others around me don't seem to admire this trait as much!

There used to be a pop culture saying in the 90's: "Homey don't play that" - (It means- I'm not going to do that because it goes against who I am and what I believe in...said by Homey the clown from 'In Living Color'. ) As a young mother, my favorite catch phrase became, "I don't think so, Mama don't play that."

Lately, I've realized that I've mistaken my rigidity for strength. I want to stand up for what I believe in and not back down on my principles. Yet, my hardness creates conflict with others who have their own principles, (which may appear to me as just fuzzy discipline and half-baked ideas!)

Sometimes, I operate by standards that no longer fit my life. For example, I'm frugal and reluctant to spend money on myself. This pattern stems from earlier times when we didn't have much money. Now, it's just a habit that I justify as a dislike for extravagance.

Now that I realize that this is a weakness, I'm trying to change. Trying to see things from the other's perspective. Becoming softer, making time for interruptions. Listening. Trying to discriminate between core principles and long-held habits.



2 comments:

  1. Finally!

    :)

    I like you gettin' all personal and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By "finally!" I was teasing you, nsp, going along with the spirit of your blog posting about "how you've always been." I think you're great the way you are, but there is a part of us that says "finally! I can relax on that! I can get rid of that old coat!"

    Thanks for your wonderful insights.

    ReplyDelete