streams

streams

Friday, January 27, 2012

One-on-one Time

Once a week, my husband and I go on a date. We usually go out to eat, then go shopping, or hiking, or a movie... anything that is conducive to connecting and enjoying each others company. Daily, we try to make some time alone to talk, walk the dog, or watch some TV together.

Similarly, I carve out alone time with God. Here are some activities that help me connect and enjoy my time with God: Reading (the Bible as well as other inspirational books), prayer, thinking, writing, music, nature, listening, and serving or reaching out to others.

God whispers to me when I am quiet and introspective. I'm at my freshest first thing in the morning. This is my time to pray, listen, think, write and read. On weekend mornings I get to extend this precious time for several hours before the rest of my family wakes up. Once the day gets going, I try to join God in more active ways. Reaching out to others through phone calls, emails, helping out in what ever way I can, taking a walk outside, listening to music, and taking care of my family...

My friends in my Bible study group always share what God has whispered to them. I always learn so much from their wisdom. They push me closer to Jesus.

I attend church every week, mostly out of habit. I rarely connect with God there. I have a hard time getting close to God when there are so many other people around. I guess I'm just better at one-on-one relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment