streams

streams

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Overcommitted

Lately I'm feeling like a ball of yarn that's all tangled up. I've committed to too many good things and now can't seem to do any of them well. I untangle just enough time and energy to do a days worth of work. Yet the next morning I'm faced with the same situation. Frustrating. I'd like to just push everything off my desk and just have a nice clean start. I'm sure it wouldn't take long before I'm facing the same situation again.

So... how do I stop getting into the same mess over and over?

Every time I get a new car, I trade in or sell my old car. I have limited garage space, and I don't want to pay insurance and maintenance on an extra car. When I get new clothes or shoes, I usually give away old ones to make room in my closet. Yet, when I add new commitments to my life, I rarely pull out of earlier ones. Just the word 'commitment' implies that I am bound to continue forever. May be I need a different word to describe taking on projects. A lighter word, a word that allows me to pare down when necessary.

I have decided to do certain activities daily. I have chosen to do several projects that involve others. I should be able to change my decisions and choices when needed.

I have made a commitment to knowing, loving and serving God. I have also made a commitment to being an attentive, available wife and mom. These are binding and non-negotiable. I've had my decisions or choices tangled up with my commitments.

More on this subject tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment