streams

streams

Friday, January 6, 2012

Covenant vs Contract

The Judeo-Christian tradition is based on a covenant relationship with God. There is a big difference between a covenant and a contract. The first is based on an intimate relationship, while the latter is more of a legal agreement. A loving intimate relationship is generous and accommodating. It makes room for forgiveness and sacrifice. It is not based on expectations of quid pro quo or self interest. So, having a covenant with God is not about rules, obligations or penalties.

Sometimes religion is more a cultural identity than a faith choice. Although I disagree with many of the Church's teachings, and frequently feel stifled by it, I'm reluctant to shed the familiar casing. It would feel as disloyal as bleaching my brown skin.

Just as expectations of spouses and children vary among different cultures, covenants are influenced by culture and tradition. Many of the details are left open, unwritten, open to interpretation.

I believe that I have a covenant with God that is shaped by my culture. Each of us have to work out the individual, intimate details of our commitment with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment