streams

streams

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Spiritual Fat

"Whenever there is any element of pride or conceit remaining, Jesus can't teach us anything." (from Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers)

Pride is no longer considered a sin. I'm supposed to take pride in my work, in my children, in my home, and in my appearance. We soften this trait with euphemisms like self-esteem, dignity and self-confidence. Conceit is not as acceptable, unless you call it 'swagger', which then is a good trait, if you have the goods to back it up.

I actually happen to have put on a few extra pounds of pride over the last few decades. It provides me with padding during lean times. When I'm feeling insecure, pride provides a protective layer of insulation.

If pride is socially acceptable, then why is it harmful? In some cultures, extra fat is acceptable, even admired. Yet, it still has many adverse health risks. One of the reasons surgery is more difficult on obese patients is because it requires cutting through more tissue to get to the internal organs.

Think of pride as spiritual fat. As Jesus tries to heal us, He has to cut through layers of pride to get within us. Diagnosis and treatment of the soul are much more difficult when we are puffed-up with self-importance.

More than half of Americans are overweight. Yet we accept this as unhealthy and we try to make changes. Similarly, pride might be a common trait in our culture; but it is detrimental to our spiritual health.

No comments:

Post a Comment